If there is a traditional Chilean recipe, it is undoubtedly the Ground Beef Empanadas. In the month of September in the celebration of the national holidays, this is the recipe that we Chileans make the most.
Each home has its secrets and details when it comes to making the ground beef filling or the dough, which are passed from generation to generation. And although there are details that sometimes make them different from each other, their seasoning is the common factor among them. That characteristic flavor that only a good Chilean will know how to recognize.
This time I present the version that I shared in my book Mi Diario de Cocina Chilena (“My Chilean Cuisine Diary”), although I made a little variation to it. This is a basic recipe that works, and that my teacher taught us many years ago when I was studying Hotel Management.
Anyway you can see the other recipe I have for Baked Empanadas (in my Spanish site) that I published on this blog many years ago.
The classic thing to do is to taste these delicious empanadas, accompanied by a good pebre sauce. It is a wonderful mix, homemade flavors and so traditional from Chilean homes.
You may also be interested in seeing the recipes of Chilean-style salad or Chilean ajiaco.Print
Ground Beef Empanadas
- Total Time: 50 min
- Yield: 12 1x
FOR THE GROUND BEEF FILLING:
- 500 g (18 oz) of minced or ground beef (you can use sirloin or short loin)
- 2 large onions
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder (may replace with paprika)
- 1/4 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 3 boiled eggs, sliced
- 24 black olives
- 1/2 cup of raisins
FOR THE DOUGH:
- 1 kilogram (36 oz) of flour
- 180 grams (6 oz) of butter
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 cups of water at room temperature
GROUND BEEF FILLING PREPARATION: in a frying pan, fry the diced onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes. It should not be allowed to brown. Then add the minced or ground beef. Mix well and add the seasonings: salt, chili powder, oregano, pepper and a little cumin. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Rectify flavors and let the filling preparation rest for at least an hour.
PREPARATION OF THE DOUGH: You can prepare it with your hands or in the mixer.
- Add the flour, salt, butter and water little by little to form an easy-to-work dough.
- Be careful that the shortening should not melt.
- Once the dough is ready, stretch with the help of a rolling pin and cut circles of 15 cm (6 in) in diameter.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- In the center of each dough put a large tablespoon of ground beef filling, a slice of egg, one or two olives, 2 to 3 raisins.
- Moisten one edge of the dough to close it, then fold the sides and then the center of the empanada.
- You can brush over each empanada with the mixture a yolk and water. This will give it a golden color on top.
- Pierce the center of each empanada with the help of a toothpick, or something similar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the empanadas are golden on top.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Dough
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Chilean cuisine
Keywords: empanadas, ground beef filling, chilean cuisine
The Ground Beef Empanadas are always traditionally baked, but there are other popular empanadas in Chile such as Shrimp and Cheese Empanadas or Seafood Empanadas that are fried.
In this blog you can find many Chilean recipes to enjoy not only this September but every time you want to have a bit of Chile on your table.
Don’t forget to use the tag #midiariodecocina if you make this or another recipe from my blog.
Leave a Reply