This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias
Fall has arrived to Atlanta, and even though the temperatures have dropped a little in the last couple of days, the days are still quite sunny. Without a doubt, the weather plays a role in renewing the daily energy needed to prepare our meals. But I believe that dinner time may be the most challenging part of the day, because especially if there are children at home, one is usually already somewhat tired by then, and that often means that it’s harder to come up with delicious dishes. That’s why today I bring you a super recipe, very simple to make, and to me it brings back many memories from my childhood. Even though this is a version I created especially for this Hunt’s campaign, I gave a different twist to the traditional potato cake that’s usually prepared in my home country. This version is so delicious, and the “pino” (meat-based filling) that it contains got much juicier, due to the mushrooms and Hunt’s tomatoes.
When I decided to make this recipe for dinner, I asked my son to come with me to our neighborhood Walmart supermarket. Once there, it was very easy to find all the ingredients I needed to make this potato cake, but I also found a very wide variety of Hunt’s products. I couldn’t decide which one to use to prepare the “pino” filling, so I just took three different types of tomato cans. I then finally decided to use the one with diced tomatoes. You may find the Hunt’s products in the aisle for pastas, legummes, and sauces.For this potato cake, I prepared some traditional mashed potatoes, that will cover the potato pie on top. It’s important that the butter and the milk be warm when integrating them into the mashed potatoes mix. You can easily do so either on a pan, or on a microwave oven. This time I made yet another variation, which was to put a layer of pino filling on the bottom, followed by a layer of mashed potatoes, then another one of pino, and then topping everything with a layer of the remaining mashed potatoes I had. Everything got quite integrated and tasty. I love the touch that the tomatoes gave to the pino filling.Print
- 4–5 large potatoes
- 1 cup of warm milk
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 kg (18 oz) of ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
- 1 can Hunt’s Crushed Tomatoes
- Cumin, oregano, garlic powder, pepper, and salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons of cheddar cheese
- Peel and dice-cut the potatoes.
- Place the cut potatoes in a pot, cover them with boiling water and cook them for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Heat the butter and milk.
- Remove the water from the potatoes, mash them with a fork or a mashing accessory. Add the milk and butter.
- Season with salt and pepper if you like.
- Meanwhile, prepare the “pino” filling. For that, chop the onion, put some oil in a pan, and fry the chopped onions for about 4 minutes. Add the groud beef, cook for a few minutes and add then the mushrooms. Add some seasonings if desired and to your taste.
- Add the diced tomatoes from the can. Mix well and cook for about 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, put a layer of pino (i.e. the meat mixture), then a layer of mashed potatoes, then another one of pino, and then end with a layer of mashed potatoes on top. Also sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top of it.
- Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes, at medium-high heat.
If you have ideas for dinner, I’d love you to share your recipes in the comments section below, and I could eventually recreate your dishes. And if you want to see more recipes or ideas for dinner using Hunt’s products, you can visit their website HERE.