FOR THE GROUND BEEF FILLING:
- 500 g (18 oz) of minced or ground beef (you can use sirloin or short loin)
- 2 large onions
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder (may replace with paprika)
- 1/4 teaspoon of oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 3 boiled eggs, sliced
- 24 black olives
- 1/2 cup of raisins
FOR THE DOUGH:
- 1 kilogram (36 oz) of flour
- 180 grams (6 oz) of butter
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 cups of water at room temperature
GROUND BEEF FILLING PREPARATION: in a frying pan, fry the diced onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes. It should not be allowed to brown. Then add the minced or ground beef. Mix well and add the seasonings: salt, chili powder, oregano, pepper and a little cumin. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Rectify flavors and let the filling preparation rest for at least an hour.
PREPARATION OF THE DOUGH: You can prepare it with your hands or in the mixer.
- Add the flour, salt, butter and water little by little to form an easy-to-work dough.
- Be careful that the shortening should not melt.
- Once the dough is ready, stretch with the help of a rolling pin and cut circles of 15 cm (6 in) in diameter.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- In the center of each dough put a large tablespoon of ground beef filling, a slice of egg, one or two olives, 2 to 3 raisins.
- Moisten one edge of the dough to close it, then fold the sides and then the center of the empanada.
- You can brush over each empanada with the mixture a yolk and water. This will give it a golden color on top.
- Pierce the center of each empanada with the help of a toothpick, or something similar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the empanadas are golden on top.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Dough
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Chilean cuisine
Keywords: empanadas, ground beef filling, chilean cuisine