Christmas is almost here! Such a spectacle brings back many childhood memories…. There was a family atmosphere during the feast. My earliest memory is of my parents. I remember my mother preparing sweet things for Christmas Eve. I don’t especially remember the gifts, I’ve thought that the warmth of home was the most precious gift my parents gave me. Even though they are gone now, I share the joy of celebrating a family feast, where presents are just a token. This recipe is ideal for those who want to prepare sweet things, and it’s the perfect dessert for your Christmas Dinner. It is very simple to prepare, and it looks great! It’s a classic French dessert, with many different versions available on the web. This is the version that I’ve prepared. I hope you enjoy it!
- NGREDIENTS FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour without baking powder.
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- A pinch of salt.
- 4 eggs, at room temperature.
- 3/4 cup of granulated (white) sugar.
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 1 teaspoon of butter or margarine.
- 1 teaspoon of flour
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1 1/2 cup (315 gr / 11 oz) of chocolate icing (you can also use chocolate chips)
- 2 cups of whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease the oven tray, then cover it with parchment paper, and grease it too. Sprinkle some flour on it.
- Stir together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs for 3 minutes, then add the sugar and the vanilla extract. Continue to blend the mixture until the volume has doubled.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly with the help of a spatula in an encircling manner. Pour and spread the mix evenly on the baking tray that we had prepared before.
- Bake for about 14 minutes, and then remove it from the oven.
- Turn the sponge cake carefully, with the help of the parchment paper, and place in a kitchen cloth and roll up together. Let it cool.
- Melt the chocolate and the whipping cream in bain-marie. Once mixed, add the vanilla extract and the pinch of salt. Stir thoroughly. Let it cool and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When both preparations are ready, roll out the sponge cake and spread half of the chocolate filling. Roll the sponge cake very carefully.
- The final idea is to make it look like a tree trunk. For that, cut a piece of the roll, then cut again this piece diagonally and place it on one side of the roll. Cover everything with chocolate frosting. With the help of a fork make lines imitating a trunk. Decorate as you like. Many people use marzipan to imitate the shape of mushrooms.