For this pizza I wanted to change the typical yellow cheeses we usually use, and I wanted to achieve a different flavor with the ricotta. It was not just tasty, but also the touch of the onions mixed with the mushrooms made a perfect delight to the palate. The arugula provided a touch of freshness to this pizza, which is perhaps a little denser than usual, but that undoubtedly will be worth trying. You may perfectly use uncaramelized onions, but I leave that to your discretion.
This pizza is perfect for a lunch or dinner! My husband and I enjoyed it on a Friday one time, when I tried to prepare something less elaborate. And please believe me when I say that the dough of this recipe is super easy and quick to make. So, if you do not have a whole lot of time, this is definitely a meal that can bail you out.Print
Pizza with ricotta, caramelized onions, mushrooms, and arugula
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- FOR THE DOUGH
- 1 package of instant dry yeast (2¼ tsp)
- 1 cup of warm water (105°-115°F) (40°-46°C)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 2½ cups of all-purpose flour without baking powder (and a bit more)
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 small onion cut in julienne
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms
- 2 cups of arugula (approx.)
- Dissolve the yeast in ¼ cup of warm water. Then pour this mix into a large bowl, add the rest of the water (3/4 cup), oil, sugar, salt and flour. Mix well, and you may also add a little extra flour if necessary, it shouldn’t stick to your hands. Knead a little. Make a ball with some dough, and let it stand for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place the dough on a floured surface, and then you can begin stretching it, ideally with the hands, but you can also use a rolling pin if it’s easier for you. Once the dough is extended, place it on top of a baking tray that’s covered with parchment paper, or else in a special pizza baking tray.
- Paint the dough with tomato paste or tomato sauce, and then bake it for about 10 minutes.
- For the filling, heat a pan with the tablespoon of oil, and then fry the onion cut in julienne. After about 3 minutes, add the sugar and let it cook until the onion has dissolved. Set aside.
- In another skillet, sauté the mushrooms with a little butter. This takes about 3-4 minutes.
- On top of the pizza, place the ricotta, and then the onion and mushrooms.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
- Finally, before serving, place the arugula on top.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Leave a Reply