Some time ago I discovered these tasty granola bars, and that classic rice cereal with little sugar. I decided to also use peanut butter in this occasion, and to be quite honest, I was not exactly a huge fan of this product before, but I’ve been trying to incorporate it more and more lately. Besides, there’s a supermarket nearby that I frequent, in which there’s a machine where you can instantly make peanut butter yourself, and that way getting a natural product with no additives or sugar.
Here in the United States I can find the Rice Krispies, that I used as cereal in this recipe. But in Chile, the Natur puffed rice cereal can be used instead. The important thing is to find a cereal that is low in sugar, and with a consistency like puffed rice cereal.
These bars are so delicious, and from the original recipe that I adapted from the blog “Averie Cooks“, I eliminated the brown sugar that it had, because I felt that it would end up being too sweet. These bars are ideal to be used as snacks, you can store them in a hermetic container, and they can perfectly last for a week or even more.
- 1/4 cup of agave nectar (it can be replaced with honey or syrup)
- 3/4 cup of peanut butter
- 1/4 cup of dark chocolate powder
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of instant oatmeal
- 2 cups of rice cereal (Rice Krispies from Kelloggs brand) or (replace with Natur puffed rice cereal)
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, mix the agave nectar (or honey) and the peanut butter well together. Bring the mix to the microwave oven for 1 minute. Remove, stir well, and bring the mix back to the microwave oven for 30 additional seconds.
- Remove from the microwave oven, and then add the chocolate powder, half of the chocolate chips, and the vanilla extract. Mix well.
- In another large bowl, mix the oats, rice cereal, and the remaining chocolate chips.
- Add the peanut butter mixture to it. Merge everything very well, until a uniform consistency is obtained.
- In a square pan covered with parchment paper, pour the mixture. Spread the mix evenly, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Then unmold and cut the bars.
- Prep Time: 10 mins