This delicious Corn Soup is a mixture of the typical flavors of the summers in Chile, since we usually consume corn a lot in summer, being in recipes like Corn Cake, Humitas (Chilean tamales), or the classic Porotos Granados (cranberry beans stew – Chilean recipe). That is why this time I wanted to make the soup version of these same flavors. This recipe is perfect as a starter dish, and also as a main course dish with a side of tomato salad. It is really comforting and very simple to make.
You have the option of adding some milk if you wish, but in my case I only used water and vegetable broth.
* For the vegetable broth, it is so simple that in a separate pan you place a sprig of celery, a piece of carrot, a clove of garlic, branches of parsley, a piece of onion, and any other vegetable you may like, as well as herbs. Then fill the pan with water, add salt and pepper and cook for about 15 minutes. This will give you a base broth with which you can make various soups and creams. You can store this in the refrigerator or freezer.
If you don’t want to miss any new recipes posted in Mi Diario de Cocina, you can subscribe HERE. Remember that you can follow me through Facebook and Twitter. Or if you like the pictures and want more cooking ideas, you can also find me on Instagram and Pinterest.Print
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil, or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar (can use brown sugar if desired)
- 3 cups of corn, in grains
- Salt and pepper, to your taste
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of vegetable broth (ideally, but can also use milk instead)
- 5 basil leaves, plus a couple extra leaves for decoration
- Sauté the onion with the oil in a pan for about 2 minutes. Then add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, and continue cooking for 2 additional minutes.
- Add the seeded corn, salt, pepper, and basil leaves. Stir well and then add water and vegetable broth or milk.
- Cooking this mix for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Process all the mixture through a blender.
- Serve the soup with some grains of corn and chopped basil on top.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins