I no longer know whether December happens to be the favorite moth of children or for the sweet-tooth adults, but it is certainly a sweet month. And this year I have the intention of making several boxes with Christmas cookies made by me, to give to some people, as I consider it a gesture of affection, as well as also a way of giving thanks for those who I appreciate. And for this mission my kids were able to give me a hand, because I always say that cooking with them is an excellent activity, where my little ones have a great time, and they gradually gain more interest and love for cooking.
This time I present here some cookies that are very popular around here in the United States, and in my corresponding Spanish post for this recipe I even kept the title mainly in English, because I felt that otherwise it would lose the origin of this recipe. As you will be able to visualize on the pictures below, these cookies have a dip in the center that is done with the thumb (hence the name), and then they are filled with a jam of one’s liking. This recipe is very good, so if you want to show off your cookie skills for your family, don’t hesitate in making them.
You may probably also like my recipes of Orange cookies with chocolate chips and light gingerbread cookies, as well as the Red Velvet Cookies.
- 1/2 cup of jam (without fruit seeds or skins)
- 2 1/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 125 grams (4.4 oz) of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (and a little more) of granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Join all the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder) into a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the butter and sugar for about 4 minutes (at least).
- Add the cream cheese, egg, and vanilla extract to that mix until everything is well combined.
- Then, add the dry ingredients to the mix. Integrate well.
- Form small balls. Place them on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Then press a thumb in the center of each ball to make a dip in the dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Then remove from the oven and fill each cookie with jam. You may find this easier if using a disposable pastry bag or a Ziploc-type bag.
- Bake again for 10 additional minutes.
- Let cool before serving the cookies.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins