It’s been years since I haven’t tasted the delicious Meringue Eggfruit Cake, I remember that this was one of the most requested cakes for birthdays back in my beloved Chile. While in my blog I already have another Meringue Cake, this was exceptionally delicious. I hope you’ll follow the recipe exactly as explained, as people often make small changes and the result is inadvertently altered. I hope that when you prepare the recipe, the kitchen environment is cool and you can control the oven temperature with precision. If your oven does not have a thermometer, I recommend you buying one, are they’re usually very cheap and it’s worth it. To decorate the cake, I used chocolate chips, I melted them in the microwave for a minute, then used a wax paper as a foundation for placing figures and a pastry bag for decorating, you may also use a Ziploc bag for this. Here you just must use your imagination. Once the figures are ready, I recommend you to refrigerate them for a few minutes before using.
The cake can last more than a week in the freezer. You just have to remove it from the freezer one hour before serving.
- 400 cc approx. (8 whites) of eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 400 grams of eggplant pulp
- 600 ml of liquid whipping cream
- Parchment paper
- ¾ cup of chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 100°C (200°F). Prepare a baking tray by lining it with parchment paper, but first mark with a pencil 3 or 4 circles of 24 cm (9.4 inches) of diameter with the aid of a pot lid, as seen in the second picture.
- In a bowl, add the pinch of salt to the egg whites, then stir the whites until stiff, ideally with a handheld electric mixer, gradually adding the granulated sugar, and mix until you can’t feel the sugar when touching with your fingers. Finally, add the baking powder and cornstarch.
- Put the mix into a pastry bag or a Ziploc bag, which you can cut on a corner. Then, carefully begin to form a disc on the tray that is lined with parchment paper, as seen in the photo above.
- Bake for 2 hours, it is very important that the oven does not exceed 100°C (200°F) of temperature.
- When the discs get dry, it’s because they are ready. Once they cool down, you may begin to fill them.
- In a bowl we stir the whipping cream, and we then add the eggfruit puree. Mix well.
- On a meringue disc, put a generous layer of cream. Then put another meringue disc and do the same step as above until you finish, decorate the outside of the cake with the cream.
- In regards to the decoration, I leave it to your liking.
- As explained in the introduction of this post, I used melted chocolate chips for garnish.