Last week through my Facebook fan page, I shared a picture from my phone while preparing these delicious breads. They are super easy to make, and can use traditional burgers, veggie burgers or just fill it with ham and avocado, achieving a fabulous and healthy sandwich.
Recipe adapted from Celine Steen.
- 1 cup of warm water (105°-115°F) (40°-46°C)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of molasses
- 1 ½ cups of spelt flour
- 1 ½ cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil
- Combine the warm water with the yeast and molasses in a small bowl. Let it stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in the bowl of the mixer (if you use one), mix the flours, salt and oil, unite a little and then add the yeast combination. Combine everything well and knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Then knead for a couple of minutes more.
- Form a ball with the dough and place it on a platter or bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap, and let it stand for 1 ½ hours until it rises to twice its volume.
- Prepare the baking tray, cover with parchment paper, or you can alternatively use one of those silicone mats.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions, forming small ball-shaped lumps.
- Cover with a cloth or with the same plastic wrap, and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Bake for 14 minutes.
- Once they’re cold or warm, you can make the sandwich to your liking.
- Cook Time: 14 mins