I hope you’re doing alright at this time of the month. It’s been a while since the last time I brought you something sweet, so now it is the turn of this delicious Crumb German Cake, for this occasion I opted to fill them with apples, they can be green (my favorite) or red. But if you are in summer season, you can take advantage of replacing this fruit with blueberries for example, and instead of cinnamon you can use lemon zest.
As you can see, I continue here with a line of flexible recipes, adaptable to your needs.
In addition, this German Cake (also known as kuchen) is perfect for tea time or to accompany a coffee in the afternoon. And it is even a good option as a dessert, and if you just want to snack out or if you’re having a sweet tooth without measures, you can serve it warm, accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
As for the dough, the consistency is like crumbs, a more optimal approach is to mix all the ingredients except the butter, and then add the melted butter afterwards, but warm. The best way is to work with your hands to achieve a better texture.
Without a doubt, the texture of the base will be more compact if you press and flatten it in the mold. Which will make it perfect to later fill with the desired fruit.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (you can use a little less if you want)
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 125 grams (4.4 oz) of butter
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING:
- 7 regular-sized apples (can be green or red or a mixture of both)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
PREPARATION OF THE FILLING:
- Wash the apples, and peel them removing the skin and the center of each apple.
- Cut them into small wedges.
- Place the butter in a pan and sauté the apples.
- Add the sugar. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon powder, mix well.
- This cooking will release a lot of juice.
- In a cup or similar, dissolve the cornstarch with a little cold water.
- Add the dissolved cornstarch to the apple mixture.
- When it begins to thicken, turn off the heat.
- Let cool before using the filling.
PREPARATION FOR THE DOUGH:
- Melt the butter completely in the pot or in the microwave.
- In a bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, ground cinnamon, egg and the melted butter. Mix with your hands and form crumbs.
- Heat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Butter a 26 cm (10 in) mold.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with half of the crumb mixture. Press with your fingers and leave firmly.
- Place the apple mixture on top.
- Finish covering with the rest of the dough.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden on top.
- Let stand before unmolding and ideally enjoy chilled.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Sweet doughs
Keywords: German cake, crumb, apples, kuchen, streusel
This Crumb German Cake with flavors from the South of Chile, you can do it in the peace of your home, and fill it up with enjoyable smells when baking. Without a doubt a recipe that is worth making.