One of the most beautiful traditions in November in the United States is Thanksgiving dinner. And I particularly love everything that has to do with celebrations and food. I enjoy learning from other cultures and their traditions. I have been living in the United States for many years already, and this celebration is very much liked by my family.
It is the perfect time to share also with friends. And either way, this recipe is applicable to other year-end holidays as well.
I’ve always heard stories about how many people get all complicated when it comes to preparing a whole turkey, because they always end up having a lot of leftovers, and they get bored of eating turkey for several days afterwards. My plan this year is also to give solutions and ideas, to figure out what to do with all that leftover meat, and even with some of the sides.
Once again , I’ve resorted to the Vive Mejor website in order to look for inspiration, and it turns out that I found his recipe of “Turkey casserole“, which reminded me a lot of the recipe of “Potato and meat pie” that is popular in Chile. Over there, the recipe often contains beef and other variants. That is why I wanted to change the name of the Turkey Casserole recipe, and call it just “Potato and turkey meat pie“.
It is a simple, tasty, and perfect recipe, which will allow you to reuse many leftovers from the Thanksgiving dinner.Print
- 1 cup of bread stuffing for turkey
- 3 cups of turkey meat (cooked, chopped – about 1 lb)
- 3/4 cup of Hellmann’s® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of cranberries
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 cups of mashed potatoes
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese (low-fat, grated)
- Place the cranberries, water, orange zest, and sugar in a pot. Let it cook until a sauce forms, this takes about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Prepare a baking dish that can go into the oven, and spray it with oil-spray.
- Place 1 cup of the turkey bread filling as a base in the baking dish, then place the turkey on top.
- Mix 1/2 cup of Hellmann’s® or Best Foods® mayonnaise with the cranberry sauce, and pour it over the turkey.
- Mix 1/4 cup of mayonnaise with the mashed potatoes and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Unite well, and then pour it on the turkey.
- Place the remaining cheese over the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let it stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
You can find many more ideas and recipes in the Vive Mejor website, and also on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. And I encourage you to give your own adaptation to this tasty recipe that I present today! Share your ideas in the Comments section below.