Today I finally share this classical recipe, that is so popular in birthdays from my home country of Chile, a delicious Black Forest cake. It is of German origin, and it’s better known as Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte.
This version that I present is an adaptation I made, so that children can also enjoy it. That is why it is totally optional to add the liquor that this recipe originally contains, called “Kirsch“, and you can use only the soaking method I indicate in the recipe.
For the sponge cake, this time I did it twice. That is, I repeated the recipe a 2nd time to end up with 2 sponge cakes. For the first sponge cake, I divided it in two halves. And for the second sponge cake, I only used one layer of it, and the other one I crumbled it to decorate the edges of the cake. But you can perfectly make a cake by carefully dividing it into 3 parts and then decorate the edges with chocolate shavings.
As you can see, there are always alternatives to enjoy the recipes according to our tastes and needs.
If you don’t want to miss any new recipes posted in Mi Diario de Cocina, you can subscribe HERE. Remember that you can follow me through Facebook and Twitter. Or if you like the pictures and want more cooking ideas, you can also find me on Instagram and Pinterest.Print
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SPONGE CAKE
- 8 eggs
- 200 grs (28 oz) of granulated sugar
- 200 grs (28 oz) of flour without baking powder
- 40 grs (1.4 oz) of cocoa powder (without sugar)
- 20 grs (0.7 oz) of cornstarch
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING AND DECORATION
- 1 liter of whipping cream
- 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of cherry jam
- 30 ml of Kirsch (liquor)
- 1 cup of sugar + 1 clove + 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, or in its effect the Kirsch liquor.
- Maraschino cherries or fresh cherries
READ THE INTRODUCTION BEFORE READING THIS PART.
PREPARATION OF THE SPONGE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Butter a mold of 24 or 26 cms (10 in).
- Beat the egg whites a little with a pinch of salt, then incorporate the sugar until achieving a stiff mixture, so that the sugar has completely dissolved and the whites are firm.
- Then add the yolks one by one.
- Finally add the flour, cornstarch, and cocoa powder with a wooden spoon or spatula, and incorporate in a slow and even manner, do not stir quickly.
- Pour the mixture into the mold and bake for 25 minutes.
PREPARATION OF THE FILLING AND DECORATION:
- Prepare the soaking mixture by melting (in a saucepan) 3/4 cup of sugar with 1 cup of water, 1 clove, and a little bit of cinnamon. Once the sugar is dissolved, let it cool down. Then add the Kirsch liquor, in case you would like to use it.
- Beat the cream, and when it starts becoming more solid, add the powdered sugar until it is well integrated.
- Divide the sponge cake into 3 or 2 pieces.
- Put some of the soaking mix in the base of the sponge cake. Then put some cherry jam, and if you like you can also put some maraschino cherries.
- Then place a layer of whipped cream, followed by another layer of sponge cake, pour a little bit of the soaking mix, cherry jam, and cream. Once this part of the filling is ready, cover the whole cake with whipped cream, decorate with the help of a pastry bag to make different patterns with the cream on top. I also used natural cherries on top.
- On the side, I used a leftover sponge cake, and I crubled it in a food processor, although you can crumble it in any way you desire.
- Let the cake stand in the refrigerator for a while before serving.