INGREDIENTS FOR THE SPONGE CAKE
- 8 eggs
- 200 grs (28 oz) of granulated sugar
- 200 grs (28 oz) of flour without baking powder
- 40 grs (1.4 oz) of cocoa powder (without sugar)
- 20 grs (0.7 oz) of cornstarch
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING AND DECORATION
- 1 liter of whipping cream
- 3/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of cherry jam
- 30 ml of Kirsch (liquor)
- 1 cup of sugar + 1 clove + 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, or in its effect the Kirsch liquor.
- Maraschino cherries or fresh cherries
READ THE INTRODUCTION BEFORE READING THIS PART.
PREPARATION OF THE SPONGE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Butter a mold of 24 or 26 cms (10 in).
- Beat the egg whites a little with a pinch of salt, then incorporate the sugar until achieving a stiff mixture, so that the sugar has completely dissolved and the whites are firm.
- Then add the yolks one by one.
- Finally add the flour, cornstarch, and cocoa powder with a wooden spoon or spatula, and incorporate in a slow and even manner, do not stir quickly.
- Pour the mixture into the mold and bake for 25 minutes.
PREPARATION OF THE FILLING AND DECORATION:
- Prepare the soaking mixture by melting (in a saucepan) 3/4 cup of sugar with 1 cup of water, 1 clove, and a little bit of cinnamon. Once the sugar is dissolved, let it cool down. Then add the Kirsch liquor, in case you would like to use it.
- Beat the cream, and when it starts becoming more solid, add the powdered sugar until it is well integrated.
- Divide the sponge cake into 3 or 2 pieces.
- Put some of the soaking mix in the base of the sponge cake. Then put some cherry jam, and if you like you can also put some maraschino cherries.
- Then place a layer of whipped cream, followed by another layer of sponge cake, pour a little bit of the soaking mix, cherry jam, and cream. Once this part of the filling is ready, cover the whole cake with whipped cream, decorate with the help of a pastry bag to make different patterns with the cream on top. I also used natural cherries on top.
- On the side, I used a leftover sponge cake, and I crubled it in a food processor, although you can crumble it in any way you desire.
- Let the cake stand in the refrigerator for a while before serving.
- Prep Time: 60 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins