This cake is very popular in South America, and there are several variations in its recipe. I must say that I find that it’s always better to let the cake rest once made. You may accompany it with a soup, salad or anything else of your choice.Print
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH:
- 2½ (405g) cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 220 grams of cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- ½ cup of very cold water
- Plastic wrap
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING:
- 4 cups of fresh spinach
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped into squares
- ½ bell pepper (red or orange) chopped into squares
- 1½ cup of liquid milk
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, without baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup of Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Ideally in the food processor (or simply in a bowl, by hand), mix the flour, salt and sugar. Add the butter that’s been cut into small pieces and keep pulsing (if using a food processor) little by little (you can also use your fingers and you should be adding the butter to mix it well with the dry ingredients). Then add the water. Once all the ingredients have been mixed well together, form the mix into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and take it to the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- After that 1 hour, remove it from the refrigerator or a bit before assembling the cake.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: in a small saucepan cook the eggs with enough water. From the moment it begins to boil, count 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In an oiled skillet, fry the onion and pepper, cook for about 4 minutes, then immediately add the spinach, let that stay there until reduced, for about 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- To prepare the white sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour all at once, stir vigorously, immediately add the milk in a gently manner, constantly stirring until forming a sauce, season with salt and pepper.
- Join the spinach mix with the white sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- In a 22 cms mold, place half of the dough, extended as a foundation.
- Then, spread the spinach filling on top of the dough, and on top of that place the 4 whole eggs without shells.
- Cover with the other half of the dough.
- Make a hole in the center.
- Brush the cake with a little bit of egg-and-milk mix.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- Let it stand for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
[…] You may also be interested to see my recipes of Timbale of quinoa, mango, and avocado, and Pascualina tart. […]