I have long wanted to prepare this Apple strudel which brings me a lot of good memories of the South of Chile, where it is so popular. My mother-in-law always used to do it, the last time we did it together and she added murtas (a native type of berries from the South of Chile) to make it different. This delicacy is commonly enjoyed at tea time.
On this occasion I took the opportunity to do it again to update the old photos that I had and in turn to refine details of the recipe itself. The first time I published it was in 2008, it is impressive how many years have passed and how long I have been publishing recipes.
You can use green or red apples, both work well for this preparation. For those who have trouble with walnuts, there is no problem omitting them.
If you ask me if you can replace the breadcrumbs, it could be for walnuts or ground almonds, however it is not the same consistency, the flavor that the bread gives is different, and provides it with a touch of its classic flavor and texture.
It is not necessary to refrigerate it once it is made, it can be kept tightly covered at room temperature.
In the following photos you will be able to appreciate the preparation process, perhaps the most complicated part is when it must be rolled up, do it calmly and leave it completely closed as seen in the images.
You may also be interested in seeing the recipes of Apple Tart or Dinner Rolls.Print
- Total Time: 90 min
- Yield: 8 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour, without baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- 2 tablespoons of oil
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING:
- 4 to 5 apples, peeled and cut into very thin slices.
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon of ground cinnamon.
PREPARATION OF THE DOUGH:
- Mix all the ingredients until you get a soft and elastic dough.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature to achieve the desired consistency.
- Roll the dough out to obtain a large, rectangular extension, it can be about 40 cm (16 in) long by about 30 cm (12 in) wide
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
PREPARATION OF THE FILLING:
- Melt half of the butter in a frying pan and place the breadcrumbs together with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Meanwhile, brush a little bit of oil or butter over the extended dough.
- Then add the bread mix.
- Over this, place the finely-sliced apples, raisins and chopped walnuts.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar and top with the remaining butter bits.
- Form a roll and place it over the previously-buttered oven tray (the roll closure should face down).
- Brush on the outside of the dough with a beaten yolk mixed with a little milk.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Once ready, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Category: Sweet doughs
Keywords: strudel, apples
Leave a Reply