This delicious recipe of Mexican rice is the perfect side for any other preparation of Mexican cuisine. It is an ideal recipe for the Cinco de Mayo celebration, because as it is usual, Mexicans utilize rice a lot, as well as beans.
I must say that, when I came to live in the United States, is when I started learning about the amplitude and gammut of flavors of Mexico, always thanks to some friends who helped me getting deeper into their homemade cuisine, the really authentic cuisine. I particularly love the Mexican gastronomy, because it has such particular tastes, as representative as this rice, which can be used to fill the classic tacos or burritos, among others.
Let me tell you that when I took the first bite of this rice, it was a matter of just closing my eyes and saying that this flavor is Mexican. It’s a simple yet delicious rice.
You may also want to see my recipes of Chili with beef or Tacos with beef, rice, peppers, and parsley.
If you don’t want to miss any new recipes posted in Mi Diario de Cocina, you can subscribe HERE. Remember that you can follow me through Facebook and Twitter. Or if you like the pictures and want more cooking ideas, you can also find me on Instagram and Pinterest.Print
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 4
- 1 small onion, cut into big chunks
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 cup of white rice
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth (but you can also use warm water instead)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Place the tomatoes and onion in a blender or food processor. They must be crushed completely.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapeno and cut it into small squares.
- Then heat a pan with two tablespoons of oil, for one minute. Add the rice and let it cook for a while, stirring to prevent it from sticking. When the rice takes another color is because it is ready. This takes about 3 to 5 minutes approximately.
- Then add the garlic cloves (finely chopped) and the jalapeno, stir for one minute. Add the tomato and onion mixture, the chicken broth or water, as well as the tablespoon of tomato paste. Finally add salt to taste.
- Cover the pot and cook over medium-low heat for 25 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Make sure the rice doesn’t get overcooked.
- Once ready, serve with chopped fresh cilantro on top.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
Leave a Reply