- 2 tomatoes, cut into 4
- 1 small onion, cut into big chunks
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 cup of white rice
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth (but you can also use warm water instead)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Place the tomatoes and onion in a blender or food processor. They must be crushed completely.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapeno and cut it into small squares.
- Then heat a pan with two tablespoons of oil, for one minute. Add the rice and let it cook for a while, stirring to prevent it from sticking. When the rice takes another color is because it is ready. This takes about 3 to 5 minutes approximately.
- Then add the garlic cloves (finely chopped) and the jalapeno, stir for one minute. Add the tomato and onion mixture, the chicken broth or water, as well as the tablespoon of tomato paste. Finally add salt to taste.
- Cover the pot and cook over medium-low heat for 25 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Make sure the rice doesn’t get overcooked.
- Once ready, serve with chopped fresh cilantro on top.