These cookies have always struck me, and even though I had a recipe for this, I found another alternative that doesn’t contain butter, but oil instead, and they were delicious. You may vary the color to a more intense red if you add more red gel. One important tip is that if you want to store the cookies for a couple of days, you should put them ideally into an airtight box. Another important tip is to respect the cooking time, the cookies in general always look soft when taking them out from the oven, but once outside for a couple of minutes, they get the right texture. These cookies are a good alternative for Christmas. Recipe adapted from Food Network.
* Please keep in mind that these cookies must rest a little before baking.
Red Velvet Cookies
- Total Time: 36 mins
- Yield: 24 1x
Please keep in mind that these cookiesrequire some resting time before baking.
- 1/4 cup of white chocolate (you may use chocolate chips or a couverture bar)
- 1 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour without baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable (or canola) oil
- 1 teaspoon of red food coloring gel
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- Place the chocolate in a bowl, and melt it in a microwave oven for 30 seconds.
- In another separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender or in a bowl, mix the eggs with the oil and the dye.
- Then add the sugar and melted chocolate into it. Join the ingredients well and slowly.
- Then, add the dry ingredients to the mixture above.
- Join everything very well. Cover with a plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Cover the surface of a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Once ready, make dough balls of the same size and roll them in powdered sugar.
- Place them in the tray and bake for 12 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool down completely on a cooling rack.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 11 mins
Leave a Reply