INGREDIENTS FOR CARNITAS:
- 500 gr (18 oz) of pork meat
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil (can use another)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of powdered poblano chipotle
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 cups of beer
- Juice of one lime
- Juice of one orange
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHILAQUILES:
- 2 cups of Carnitas
- 4 roma tomatos
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 unit of pickled Chiplote (can use more)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 cups of tortilla chips
- ½ package of Panela Cheese from Cacique
- 1 cup of Crema Mexicana from Cacique
- 2 teaspoons of lime zest
- 1 to 2 jalapeños
- 2 or more eggs
- 1 avocado (optional)
PREPARING THE CARNITAS:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a small bowl combine all the seasonings. Then, in a frying pan, seal (by cooking) the pork on both sides.
- Place the pork into a bowl that can go in the oven. Season with all the dressings. Add the beer, orange juice, and lime. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1½ hours.
- If you have a slow cooker, you can alternatively prepare the pork with it, and cook for about 10 hours.
PREPARING THE CHILAQUILES:
- With a hand blender or in a regular blender, mix the tomatoes, red bell pepper, and Chiplote. Grind thoroughly.
- Then in a skillet fry the onion and garlic for about 4 minutes. Add the tomato mixture, season with a little bit of salt and chopped cilantro.
- Prepare in a blender the Crema Mexicana with the jalapeño, lime zest and a some salt.
- Then in an iron skillet or in a baking dish that can go in the oven, place the homemade tomato sauce, then the tortilla chips, carnitas, chopped Panela cheese, which can be taken to the oven for a few minutes at this point. Meanwhile, fry two eggs, which must be placed over the carnitas and cheese. Distribute on top the Crema Mexicana that was prepared, along with some sliced jalapeños, avocado slices, chopped cilantro and fresh pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 90 mins