Last month I prepared a dinner with products from the Sprouts supermarket, which is characterized by having several organic and fresh produce. They also offer a wide arrange of ingredients for healthier recipes. At that time I prepared a simple yet delicious dish, of breaded chicken with carrots and rustic mashed-potatoes, and then I ended that dinner with this delicious coconut milk panna cotta with pomegranate sauce, a fresh, light and tasty dessert, everyone at my home loved it! And this shows that we are actually able to replace the classic recipes with much healthier and nutritious ingredients.
And this will be the motto for this 2016, to eat much healthier.
- 300cc of coconut milk
- 150cc of liquid cream, if you can use a coconut one, even better
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of granulated sugar (100 gr. approx.) (you may also use a sweetener that you like)
- 14 grams of unflavored gelatin (they are 2 tablespoons approximately)
- 1½ cup of pomegranate arils
- 2 tablespoons of sugar or sweetener of your liking
- Blackberries for garnish
- First dissolve the gelatin in a little bit of cold water. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix the coconut milk, cream, vanilla and sugar.
- Once the sugar gets dissolved, remove from the heat and add the gelatin. Mix well. Then pour the mix into individual dessert bowls.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours to let it harden.
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce. First, with the help of a blender or hand-mixer, extract the juice from the pomegranate arils, but spare a few for garnishing at the end.
- Then mix the pomegranate juice with a little bit of sugar or sweetener, and bring it to heat in a pot, and leave it there until the sugar dissolves. The idea is to reduce the juice a little.
- To serve, dismount the panna cotta from the dessert bowl. In order to do that, bring the base of the bowl under running hot water, just for a few seconds. Then turn the bowl over a plate.
- Then pour pomegranate sauce on top, and garnish with pomegranate arils, as well as with some blackberries if desired.