- 1 liter (1 quart) of milk
- 1 cup (190 g; 6.7 oz) granulated sugar (for the milk mixture)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup (140 g; 5 oz) of granulated sugar (for the caramel)
- Beat the whole eggs, and gradually adding the milk, 1 cup of sugar, and vanilla extract. Bring to a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Prepare the caramel: Moisten the granulated sugar with 3 tablespoons of water and bring to a low heat, until it melts completely and turns golden brown, you should not stir. Pour this caramel over the bottom and sides of a baking mold.
- Then pour the milk mixture into the mold, and bake for about 40 minutes at 400°F (200°C). Let it cool in the oven as much as possible.