INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH
- ½ cup of rerigerated butter
- 2 cups of flour without baking powder
- 2 eggs
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING
- 6 to 7 green apples
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of water
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- Prepare the dough ideally in a food processor.
- But it can also be made by hand, the important thing is to be quick when making it.
- Combine all the ingredients into a homogeneous and smooth dough.
- Cover it in plastic wrap, and bring the dough to the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Prepare a round baking pan, of 24 cm (9.5 inches), approximately.
- Then, in a frying pan, put half of the diced apples, add the lemon juice, the water, and half of a cup of sugar. Let this mix cook until the sugar has dissolved and the apples get a soft and thick consistency. Add the vanilla, after having scraped it out from its pod. Stir well.
- Let this mixture cool down, ideally on a separate plate.
- Cut the peeled apples into fine slices, with the help of a mandolin or a good sharp knife.
- Spread the dough on the mold. Accommodate well, and remove any dough leftovers.
- Pour the cooked apple mixture, and spread it over the dough. Then, place the finely-cut apples over the cooked apple mixture, just as shown in the pictures.
- Put a spoonful of sugar on top, and about 3 tablespoons of butter, cut into squares.
- Bake for one hour.
- When ready, you may optionally brush the filling with a little bit of apricot (or peach) jam.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins