The most popular recipes for Christmas are usually the gingerbread cookies, because they are ideal for decorating on top any way you like, in the company of children. However, thinking of those children that are more picky, who don’t like the taste of that kind of cookies, is that I bring this alternative.
These Lemon cookies for Christmas are very different from other lemon cookies that I already have published on this blog. With the recipe I present here, you can achieve an suitable consistency that you can use to decorate them with icing, or to enjoy them just the way they are.
You can use the cookie-cutter that you like the most, I used this one in the shape of a snowflake.
The dough of these cookies will need some rest, therefore it is necessary to consider that extra time before venturing into preparing them. But without any doubt, they are very much worth it.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of lemon zest
- 125 grs of butter (3/4 cup approx.) at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- In a bowl, sift the flour and baking powder, and then add the salt.
- In another bowl, stir the butter for about two minutes, add the sugar and zest of lemon. Keep stirring for at least another 3 minutes, then add the vanilla extract and the lemon juice. Reduce the speed gradually to add the flour mixture.
- Form the dough, and divide it in two. Cover it completely in plastic wrap, and take it to the refrigerator for 30 minutes, so that the dough gets firm.
- After 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Stretch the dough with the help of a rolling pin, but covered with plastic on top. You can use the same plastic with which you wrapped the dough previously.
- Cut the cookies with the desired cutters. Place the cookies in a tray covered with parchment paper or baking mat.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Before removing from the tray, allow the cookies to rest in the oven for at least 5 minutes. Then transfer them to a cooling rack so they can cool down.